TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Re: AMS Water Pump Pulley misalignment - per Honzrr's request
People Seeking Info

Subject Re: AMS Water Pump Pulley misalignment - per Honzrr's request

Posted by Vuk@Absolute Motorsports Inc. on November 30, 2009 at 12:33 PM
  This message has been viewed 2154 times.

In Reply To AMS Water Pump Pulley misalignment - per Honzrr's request posted by Bernie (NoVA) on November 30, 2009 at 12:56 AM

Message So Bernie how many direct failures have been attributed to this? No theory please!

Parrallel mis-alignment in this miniscule scale has not been proven to cause belt chirping (usually what is noticed with parrallel mis-alignment) much less 'speculative' water pump or alternator failure. This is industry jargon and you as a technician should know this correct? Speculation on a 2 mm parrallel mis-alignment is just that!

What will cause premature wear is an overtightened belt by newbies or those that pretent to be techs. Belt deflection is the jargon for this measurement btw.

Of course I don't expect anyone to listen much given our past love hate relationship and my popularity amongst the proponents here :) I got thick skin so I'll say what is relavant and leave it at that!

I will also ask you regarding weight what the composition of the HI is? Can you post their contact info so the consumers at hand may ask? Material selection has bearing on weight as well not just holes!

Moreso, what batch of pulleys have you tested? I gather you didn't bother to ask if there have been any updates irrespective of unwarranted theories on any AMS OD pulleys? We monitor speculation very closely. Why would you as you seemingly rush to discredit while trying to potray yourself as the saviour. Stay tuned as usual!

Lastly I recall you bringing to market the Pexzed pullies from a small blurb within a Nissan Sport issue? No affiliation? No outside agenda against AMS. Surely those that have been paying attention will no doubt know your great lengths and agenda at trying to discredit us for various reasons :)

Till next time!

Vuk@AMS

Not directly affiliated? I believe you brought in the

:About a week ago I seem to have resparked some debate on the subject of the AMS water pump pulley and it's fitment.
:The topic spun out of control here:
:[ http://www.twinturbo.net/nissan/300zx/forums/general/view/2324255/The-AMS-H20-pulley-has-offset-problems-and-runs-the-belt-at.html ]
:Full disclosure:
:I along with several other vendors sell a competing product.
:I do not manufacture, produce or otherwise "make" it.
:AMS (or their hangers on) have claimed that thousands of their pulley have been sold.
:Last week 3 people offered to mail me their as yet uninstalled pulleys for comparison. I accepted offers from 2. I performed these tests w. 2 of the AMS pulleys.
:Here are the 3 pulleys side by side:
:
:Stock pulley:
:
:Stock pulley belt offset @ 20mm from timing belt cover:
:
:HI Pulley:
:
:HI pulley belt offset @ 20mm from timing belt cover:
:
:AMS pulley:
:
:AMS pulley belt offset @ over 22mm from timing belt cover:
:
:As stated before, the AMS water pump pulley is offset incorrectly and causes drive belt misalignment between the water pump, crank and alternator pulleys. This will cause incorrect loads on the water pump and will with time prematurely wear the pump's bearings & seals.
:Additionally I placed both the AMS & HI pulleys onto a standard shipping scale. The scale was calibrated to "0" before each item was placed on it. Given the holes cut into the mating surface of the AMS product the results might surprise you.
:HI 4.4oz
:
:AMS 4.8oz
:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

SEMA MEMBER - STREET PERFORMANCE COUNCIL MEMBER

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.